How You Can Help
The single most important thing you and your family can do is to be an active partner in your healthcare. That means getting involved in your care and asking questions of your healthcare provider.
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns. We encourage you to ask questions of anyone who is involved with your care.
- Ask a family member or friend to be with you when you speak with a healthcare professional. Medical information can be difficult to understand. A friend or family member can help you hear and understand the information and help you ask important questions.
- Make sure to share your important health information with all health professionals involved in your care.
- Learn about your condition and treatment. Ask your doctor and nurse if your treatment is based on the latest evidence.
- Keep a list of all the medicine you take.
- Make sure you get the results of any test or procedure.
- Talk with your doctor and health care team about your options if you need hospital care.
- Make sure you understand what will happen if you need surgery.