Free valet bicycle parking and breastfeeding area available at Ethnic Expo
Healthy Communities and the Columbus Bike Co-op will be providing a free valet bicycle parking corral for this year’s Ethnic Expo from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Saturday, October 14th. The location will be different from the previous four years parking has been available. Valet parking will be located in parking spaces on the west side of Washington Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets, south of the Bartholomew County Courthouse. The corral will be staffed by volunteers so your bike will be secure. Nearly 100 bikes each year are parked at the Expo through this service.
Why bike to Ethnic Expo instead of drive?
- For your health: There are many health benefits related to bicycling such as increased cardiovascular fitness, increased strength, increased balance and flexibility, increased endurance and stamina.
- For convenience: Only by riding a bicycle is a front row parking space at Ethnic Expo guaranteed. Zip in, zip out. You don’t have to arrive early to get a parking spot. You don’t even have to think about parking, it’s that easy.
- For your happiness: Bicycling is a proven stress reliever. Regardless of whether you are riding purely for pleasure or for a specific purpose, you will arrive at your destination feeling relaxed, energized and happier! Plus, being out on your bike is just fun.
- For your community: Being out on your bike is good for the people around you. You are able to go the places you want to go, but put one less car on the road. By biking, you are leaving a free parking space downtown for someone that may not be fortunate enough to be able to bicycle.
- For the environment: Bicycling is quieter and creates less noise than a car generates and you are actually able to interact with people around you. From your bike you can wave to a neighbor, smell the wonderful meals being cooked and be a warm and friendly human presence on the streets. Also, operating a bicycling does not harm the environment. There is no polluting exhaust released, and no oil or gas consumed. That energy along with the materials used to manufacture one automobile could be used to create hundreds of bikes.
- For your pocketbook: It is expensive to operate a car due to the costs of gas, oil, maintenance, etc., that go up when you drive more. When you start multiplying cost-per-mile to operate a car by the distance you ride, you can easily calculate how much money you save by riding a bike. Enjoy a nice vacation with that extra money!
For all these reasons and more, get out there on your bike on Saturday and ride to Ethnic Expo!
Designated Breastfeeding Spot
Also, for breastfeeding mothers, Healthy Communities Breastfeeding Coalition is pleased to provide a private and comfortable place to feed your baby at Ethnic Expo. This space will be a comfortable place to sit and feed baby adjacent to the valet bike parking facilities. Breastfeeding resources will also be available.
Want more stories like this? Subscribe to our E-newsletter
During Black History Month, we celebrate the rich history of the black community. It is also a good time to consider the unique health challenges the black community faces.