Download the special edition 64-page "One Hundred Years of Caring" magazine.
In its 100-year history, Columbus Regional Health evolved from a small county hospital serving the area's medical needs. From its inception in 1917 as Bartholomew County Hospital, the health system has grown to serve 10 Southeastern Indiana Counties. However, its mission remains the same: to improve the health and well-being of those it serves.
In this short documentary, former and current hospital leaders reflect on Columbus Regional Health's storied past and offer insight on the future of health care.
The proud history of Columbus Regional Hospital began as Bartholomew County Hospital. Today our relentless pursuit of excellence and innovation has made us one of the leading medical centers in Indiana.
The county hospital was the first to be constructed under a 1913 Indiana law enabling counties to issue bonds for building a hospital to serve the local community. The result: a 32-bed facility Bartholomew County Hospital opened its doors to patients on February 6, 1917.
Through our first 50 years, Bartholomew County Hospital grew steadily adding services, skilled staff and buildings to provide care for patients.
A major building project in the mid-1960's coupled with an increase in the medical staff, including the addition of several specialists, turned the direction of the hospital outside Bartholomew County. And, in 1983, the federal government's Medicare program recognized the hospital as a Regional Referral Center, one of 150 hospitals so classified in the nation.
In 1990, ground was broken for a building renovation and services expansion program. The architectural plan combined renovations of existing buildings with new construction to create a modern medical campus. After the project was completed, our name was officially changed to Columbus Regional Hospital on September 25, 1992.
Of course, our pursuit of excellence has never been more challenging than in the summer of 2008. In June of 2008, Columbus Regional Hospital experienced disaster -- the total disruption of operations due to unpredictable flood damage. Though we were forced to evacuate the hospital and close the building for five months, our commitment to our patients and to each other has remained strong. On October 27, 2008, we proudly reopened our building -- and renewed our pursuit to be the best at everything we do.
Over the years CRH has grown along with it's staff and physician network to include outpatient centers and has become much more than a single hospital. In the fall of 2011 the organization introduced Columbus Regional Health, a name that will be applied to many of our locations across the region. While Columbus Regional Hospital remains our flagship facility, Columbus Regional Health better reflects the evolution of the health system we are today and will be in the future.
Throughout our history, we have had strong board leadership to guide the growth and innovation that has made us the regional medical center that provides the high quality, compassionate care we are known for today. We look forward to an even better tomorrow.